Jointcare - Ultrasound Guided Injections
Dr Jenny Turner can now perform ultrasound guided injections The benefit of using the ultrasound machine to guide injections is that it improves the accuracy of the injection – she can see the injection going into the right spot in real – time. Ultrasound guided injections are also found to be less painful than non-guided injections.
Platelet rich plasma (PRP)
We are proud to be the first clinic on Guernsey to offer Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). This cutting-edge treatment enhances healing through the power of your own cells. PRP is a concentration of platelets taken from your own blood, which release high concentrations of growth factors and bioactive proteins that naturally initiate and accelerate tissue repair and regeneration. It is particularly useful for osteoarthritic joints and chronic tendinopathies where conservative rehabilitation has failed.
More information about Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections.
Other injections that can be offered include:
- Corticosteriods for joint or acute tendon inflammation. This acts as a very powerful anti-inflammatory. It is also very useful in bursitis of the shoulder, elbow, hip or knee.
- Hyaluronic acid for osteoarthritis – this is particularly useful for early osteoarthritis in patients keen to avoid surgery. It acts as a synthetic synovial fluid (which helps to lubricate the joint) reducing pain and improving movement.
- Scleroscant injections for partial tendon tears. A mixture of 25% dextrose and local anaesthetic helps the tendon to fibrose and heal; it reduces pain and aids rehabilitation.
- Whole blood injections for chronic tendons problems such as tennis elbow and golfers elbow. Blood is withdrawn and then re-injected into the tendon with dry needling of the tendon.
- High volume tendon stripping procedures. These are particularly useful for chronic Achilles and patella tendon problems. 50mls of local anaesthetic and saline is injected beneath the tendon. It reduces pain and stiffness and helps the tendon to heal.