Having a baby is one of the most exciting experiences that both mums and dads will ever have. But it can also be an anxious time. All of our doctors are experienced at looking after you and your baby during your pregnancy.
If you are thinking of trying for a baby there are a number of simple steps that can increase your success and help to give your baby the best possible start.
- Maintain a healthy diet and keep to healthy weight
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Take 400mcg of folic acid until 16 weeks
- Take 10mcg of vitamin D throughout pregnancy and breast feeding
- Stay active and fit
- Always check with a healthcare profession before taking any medications
Antenatal care in Guernsey is shared between your GP, the midwives and the obstetricians. As soon as you become pregnant make an appointment to see your family doctor. At this appointment your GP will advise you about the schedule of care for first time mothers and mothers who already have children. They will arrange for you to have blood tests and refer you for your booking appointment with the midwife and your first scan.
Patient information on Antenatal Care
- Patient Information after giving birth
- Antenatal Care in Guernsey
- Comprehensive advise on all aspects of Pregnancy and your baby.
- Antenatal Care Schedule for First Time Mums
- Antenatal Care Schedule for Mums who already have children
- There are parenthood classes run by the midwives at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital. These will help you understand your pregnancy and prepare you for the labour. There will also be opportunities to visit the maternity ward and labour suites.